As you and your partner work toward your goal of becoming parents, it’s very normal to have concerns about fertility. Factors such as health history and age can affect your chances of conceiving. Once you decide to seek out medical intervention for your fertility struggles, a common question to ask is whether to see an urologist or male fertility doctor New York-based.

Fertility Concerns

When a female is having reproductive issues, her gynecologist is likely to refer her to a fertility specialist. Fertility specialists will address female reproductive issues such as polycystic ovarian syndrome and high levels of FSH. However, males have different issues that could be affecting their fertility and their health background determines if a fertility specialist or urologist should be consulted.

When You Need an Urologist

An urologist will have a different approach to male fertility issues than a fertility doctor who specializes in reproductive endocrinology. Urologist should be consulted if your fertility issue stems from the need for a vasectomy reversal. They also can perform surgeries that could affect your sperm count. For instance, dilated blood vessels in the testicles may require surgical removal. Once surgeries are completed, the urologist orders follow-up tests to check sperm counts.

When a Male Fertility Doctor Can Help

In the majority of cases, couples will go together to a fertility specialist. Fertility specialists can run tests on both the male and female to determine the underlying cause of reproductive struggles. Male fertility doctors perform semen analysis and get background information to pinpoint any issues that could be affecting fertility. If any problems that come up that need to be addressed by an urologist, the fertility specialist will make the referral.

Specialists may give medications like Clomid when a male is suffering from low sperm count. Clomid boosts production of FSH and LH. These two hormones are needed to support healthy levels of sperm production.

Male fertility specialists can also work with couples who need to use assistive reproductive techniques to conceive. Procedures may include the following:

Intrauterine Insemination (IUI): Sperm is placed into a woman’s uterus using a tube. This procedure may be recommended to treat issues such as low sperm count and retrograde ejaculation.

Intracystoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI): For poor semen quality or no sperm in the semen, ICSI allows a single sperm to fertilize an egg before the egg is placed in the woman’s uterus. This procedure is a variation of IVF which involves joining sperm and an egg in a petri dish before transplantation.

When you go to a male fertility doctor New York-based facility, you’re likely to have concerns. Rest assured that your physician will address all of your questions as you seek treatment for infertility.

About The Author

Related Posts